Who We Are
Yoga Without Borders is a humanitarian service organization, dedicated to the alleviation of poverty, the eradication of violence against girls and women worldwide, and the advancement of education in developing countries. It is a not-for-profit charitable foundation registered in Canada.
- Pads Matter, International Campaign
Funded a new training centre in Cameroon, where girls and women become economically stronger, sewing reusable sanitary pads, underwear and school uniforms.
- Yoga Without Borders in Africa, Cameroon
Distributed supplies and provided educational programs in menstruation, hygiene and self empowerment to girls in Cameroon.
- Health and Hygiene Support for Girls, Cameroon
Collaborated with African Women Education and Development Partnership Forum to provide sanitary napkins, underwear and health and hygiene education to girls in Cameroon.
- Sanitary Supplies for Girls and Women, Haiti
Collaborated with Hime for Help in Haiti to send sanitary napkins and underwear to girls in an orphanage and tent city.
- Peer Mentoring Pilot, Toronto, ON Canada
Developed online mentoring program with stress reduction techniques, connecting women in Dubai, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Canada, and USA.
- World Pride, Toronto, ON Canada
Participated in World Pride inter-faith celebrations. Supported the Rainbow Railroad sanctuary program.
- Bring Back Our Girls, Toronto, ON Canada
Participated in campaign to raise awareness for the return of kidnapped Chibok school girls to their homes.
- Aangen Community Centre, Toronto, ON Canada
Participated with Aangen’s Send A Girl To School campaign, supporting girls and women in Zambia.
- Yoga Without Borders Foundation, Toronto, ON Canada
Federal incorporation of Yoga Without Borders as not-for-profit charitable organization.
- Inspire Award, Toronto, ON Canada
Nominated for Inspiring Community Organization of the Year
- Take Action Summit, Toronto, ON Canada
Presented first conference for live and online participants. Promoted service, unity and awareness to develop strategies for the eradication of violence against women and girls.
- “The Greatest Silence – Rape in the Congo” Film Screening, Toronto, ON Canada
Led meditation for peace and healing. Distributed Yoga Without Borders Proclamations.
- City View Senior Public School, Toronto, ON Canada
Presented interactive lecture, educating 7th and 8th grade students about human rights and female genital mutilation.
- Celebrate H.E.R., Toronto, ON Canada
Launched initiative to promote awareness and advocate for the Health, Education and Rights of girls.
- Occupy Toronto, Toronto, ON Canada
Attended and meditated daily at the activist camp at St. James Park. Reported live to international members of early morning Global Sadhana.
- Barrie Food Bank, Barrie, ON Canada
Participated at community service event, leading meditation for peace and highlighting Yoga Without Borders initiatives.
- We Care With Underwear, Toronto, ON Canada
Promoted service initiative for women in crisis in Haiti.
- Celebrate Don’t Mutilate, Toronto, ON Canada and Washington, D.C. USA
Presented workshop and lecture events to raise awareness about female genital mutilation.
- Yogapalooza, Toronto and Brampton, ON Canada
Main stage presentations at large outdoor festivals. Distributed Activist Proclamations and spoke about eradication of violence against women and girls.
- Summer Solstice, Toronto, ON Canada
Organized community service projects and citywide food drive in conjunction with Solstice events. Led interfaith prayer at early morning outdoor gatherings.
- Activist Proclamation, Toronto, ON Canada
Created proclamation, launching campaign for individuals, leaders, organizations, and governments to sign, confirming their commitment to end violence against women and girls:
“We are committed to the eradication of institutionalized violence against women and girls worldwide, permanently and in our lifetime. We declare that we shall not allow, support or create the enslavement, mutilation, disgrace, abuse or any other form of violence or dishonour towards any woman or girl in our presence, care or knowledge. Let it be known that as we move forward, this shall be the minimum standard for all peoples everywhere. So be it.”
- Social Media, Toronto, ON Canada
Created web site, blog and newsletter. Initiated daily news postings to popular online platforms, dedicated to the rights of women and girls.
- Online Interview Series, Toronto, ON Canada
Produced weekly webcast highlighting individuals and organizations engaged in humanitarian and peaceful activism around the world. Created special series dedicated to live interviews with relief workers on the ground after the earthquake in Haiti.
- Peace Week, Toronto, ON Canada
Expanded international Peace Day to Peace Week. Participants created service projects in Canada, USA and the Caribbean.
- World Partnership Walk to Eradicate Poverty, Toronto, ON Canada
Helped organize team and led warm up program for seniors.
- Global Sadhana Leadership Training Program, Toronto, ON Canada
Created a daily, early morning Yoga and meditation program with an online component for distance and international participants. Combined leadership training with classical research and study. Established initiatives dedicated to the eradication of violence against women and girls.
- Institute of Natural Health, Trinidad and Tobago
Campaigned for human rights on radio, television, & through discussions with government & community leaders.
- Toronto Police Department, Toronto, ON Canada
Provided Yoga therapy and natural medicine information as a service for Toronto’s finest.
- Dharam Dwara, Toronto, ON Canada
Provided healing and transformational services for individuals, groups and families at Karma Yoga Nivas (residence).
- Free Kitchen, Toronto, ON Canada
Provided training and served vegetarian food on site, and delivered hot meals and non-perishable items to women’s shelters in Toronto.
- Youth Without Shelter, Toronto, ON Canada
Provided hot meals, brown bag lunches and personal hygiene supplies.
- Dundas Square, Toronto, ON Canada
Led predawn healing meditations outdoors in midwinter at public square.
2003 – Present
- Peace and Healing Meditation, Toronto, ON Canada
On March 20, 2003, when the war in Iraq began, launched a campaign of “waging peace” with free Peace and Healing meditation sessions open to the public. Continued daily for four years and then on a monthly basis. In 2008 created new weekly format, simulcast through the Internet, reaching a global community, and dedicated to peace, healing, and the eradication of violence against women and children. In conjunction with annual International Day of Peace 2009 onwards, led online meditation with participants from around the world, followed by a new series of weekly international webcasts for peace and healing.
- Street Help, Toronto, ON Canada
Worked with community service organization that served the needs of homeless individuals in Toronto. Sponsored monthly outreach and awareness program, distributing food, water, clothing, and other items.
- Na-Me-Res, Toronto, ON Canada
Provided life skills and Yoga classes for residents of the Native Men’s Residence, a shelter for homeless men. Participated in Aboriginal Summer Solstice and other events.
- Sock Collection, Toronto, ON Canada
Collected thousands of socks for distribution to people living on the streets in Toronto.
- Tumivut, Toronto, ON Canada
Taught personal safety, holistic wellness and Yoga classes for residents of facility serving Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal male, female and trans-gendered, homeless youth.
- Spring Concert, Toronto, ON Canada
Produced benefit concert, held at University of Toronto; performed on the ancient healing gong, along with Shakuhachi Master, Allen Steir.
- Yogability, Toronto, ON Canada
Created program, teaching children and adults with disabilities. Provided training and support to staff, families and caregivers.
- SOAR (Seeking Opportunities Accessing Resources), Toronto, ON Canada
Provided classes for young adults with developmental disabilities.
- All Saints Church, Toronto, ON Canada
Provided free breakfasts for drop-in clientele.
- Aids Walk and International Aids Day, Toronto, ON Canada
Presented main stage speech at Toronto Aids Walk. Provided pre-walk warm ups and motivational exercises. Participated in and hosted several Aids education, memorial and fundraising events. Led candlelight demonstrations and vigils for International Aids Day.
- Mother Daughter Walk – Heart and Stroke Foundation, Toronto, ON Canada
Presented main stage speech; provided pre-walk warm ups and motivational exercises.
- Kenya Scholarship Initiative, Toronto, ON Canada
From Toronto, led book drive for school in Kenya. Provided university scholarship for young woman in graduating class.
2002 – Present
- Yoga Without Borders, Toronto, ON Canada
Created new service program for information, events, calls to action, fundraising, and international projects.